Monday, January 7, 2008

H4H

Other than the pertinent,what was on the mind last night :( .... I had a FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE this weekend. (As if there were any doubt!) Saturday morning I woke my sleepy self up and drove out to the Emerald Hollow Habitat for Humanity site.

It's a bit of a hike from where I am, but on a Saturday morning, it isn't that big a deal to go up 309 to Trumbaursville. I've worked on phase 1 a few times over the last few years, laying cinder block foundation, joist-ing floors, and putting up dry wall. This time was different. We spent all Saturday painting the entire interior of a house for a person I actually got to meet. Her name was Lee, she and her 4 kids (2 boys and twin girls) were moving into the house soon, and *gasp*! the carpet guys were coming TUESDAY!!! So the whole house needed to be painted, the kitchen needed it's cabinets installed, and we needed to scrape ALL the paint/Spackle off the floor.

This is the first time I've gotten to meet a "house buyer" and gotten to work with them, and putting a face with the house only make the whole day better! I LOVE volunteering for build days. With any luck I'll be able to do a bunch more, including women's build. :) I feel like I could easily make this a Saturday "thing", as it's really fulfilling. I'm still a bit sore in the shoulders area, but it's fading fast. I really can't wait to do it again. :D

No comments: