Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Tool...how perfect

So Boyfriend and i got to talking (while drinking) tonight. And we hit on the topics of TOOL, and Alex Grey's art work. Both of those have had pretty big impacts on our lives. I know I've posted before, scratching the surface of the importance music has for me, but TOOL always brings up my passion. In my opinion they're one of the closest bands to perfect as there ever will be.

The fact that their songs have key words making up a message like a giant puzzle is enough to blow some people's minds. But then adding in to that the MATH behind their songs, the influences of songs like Parabol and Parabola, and the music theory behind them!! ( I played piano for 2 years, flute for 5 and taught myself guitar) Its AMAZING. The change in time signature, the compilation, and layers of sound!!!! I might go as far as saying its orgasmic!

As far as Alex Grey is concerned, the honesty in his paintings is.....noble at the least, admirable in truth. And I know that sounds really contrived, and pretentious. Even thinking it, it sounds like stupid art jargon, but I really feel like there's a simplistic, natural, honest understanding in his work. Almost an enlightened quality to his imagination. I'm not gonna go off all trippy and say he's got a cosmic insight.....cause well...that's just lame, but he does have a very holistic view of man, and his connectivity and place in the universe.

Anywho....after that blathering.... Boyfriend and I are gonna try and go to Alex Grey's Gallery this weekend between apartment hunting.
: ) Woot!!!

No comments: