Saturday, September 29, 2007

Perhaps

Maybe it's how hard it is to "break into" art. Maybe it's that I left one crappy freelance job (I quite New York) for another (not really crappy...but not what I'm looking for). Maybe it's my, as Don Hertzfeldt once put it, "feeling of stagnation and creative loss in the field" No matter what, I'm feeling very picky about what I want to do with my "artsy skills" I'd love to be creative, but there are skills I just don't have a competitive enough edge on to make me successful. I can't work in graphic design. No matter how hard I try, anything else other than simple logo's and text comes out looking too "comic" to be professional.

When my boss says "a 10 second open" for a show, they're thinking motion graphics...and to my dismay a half hour later I'm staring at a story board I've done that you could draw looney tunes in. It's natural for artists to show their personality in their work. If you know me in real life, most likely you know how; bazaar, random, silly, crazy I can be... My professional peers think I'm joking when I photoshop my boss in a top hat with a handle bar mustache (I was re doing photo id's for the staff one day)or certain people I know cursing squirrels or defeating melons

Sorry to weird you out...but I really do think like that. So what do I do?? I hate to think it, but lately I've been considering "something new"....

The sound logical voices in my head...(my parents...I'm not schizophrenic!) keep telling me I need "something full time..."you need benefits...I don't want to see your degree go to waste." *sigh* Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I feel like I should start "bracing for impact"....this crash could be UG-LY!

No comments: