Monday, April 16, 2007

A Baby's Self Awareness

Changing my god-daughter out of her syrup covered play clothes after her nap yesterday, I saw her do something amazing.

She's pretty independent for a 2 year old, she can pretty much dress herself. I held out her shirt for her, but instead of taking it like she normally loves to do, she ran over to her closet door mirror and began to play with her reflection. Crouching down first, then standing up tall. Waving her arms around, and touching her face. I laughed and called her to give her her shirt, but she was so into her new "playmate" she didn't even hear me. After that I just laughed as she tilted her head back and forth, then played with her tummy, sucking it in and looking at her reflection. She looked back at me once or twice and then giggled at the mirror. I can't be sure, but I think she was just really enjoying recognizing herself and what she looked like. It was so cute, and one of the coolest things I've ever seen her do. What an amazing little girl. : )

No comments: