Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The normal intolerance

It's been almost 3 weeks since I decided, I just don't want to eat meat anymore. I'm actually not "craving" it at all, and while its hard to avoid, its not a challenge to "not eat it". I don't feel like I'm denying myself of anything, and my body just generally "feels" better.

I've seen the videos, from both sides, and averaging the truth between the two, yes, its pretty bad how they raise farm animals. However I'd be lying if I said I was being all noble and boycotting meat for that reason. My feelings on that are another topic. In all honesty, I don't want the "cocktail" of synthetic hormones, vaccines, and other crap they pump into the live stock. Call me crazy, I don't have much faith in the FDA. I'm skeptical, all that shit HAS to eventually have an effect on me in some way.

Boyfriend's been really supportive about my decision. Playfully teasing, as always, but happy that I'm happy about it. The family, however, has not been very supportive at all. When I first mentioned it to my mother she didn't have much to say. But last Sunday she made waffles, and when I said I didn't want any (because of the eggs) she said pretty much just what I thought she'd say. (Oh, come on that's enough, this is ridiculous etc) And then the older sister chimed in with her usual thoughtless comments. "You don't know enough about nutrition to cut meat out of your diet."

.............You're right Michelle, there's NO way I could POSSIBLY have done research...and like...learned about it.


I want to ignore their comments, and the fact that I'm not taken seriously, but its really frustrating. Especially since my dad hasn't said anything about it, only because I'm fairly sure he's just waiting for me to "change my mind" and go back to eating meat. What a bummer that they can't just respect what I think.

No comments: